The leadership crisis rocking the Ekiti chapter of the City Boy Movement, which began earlier this month following the appointment of a new state director, resurfaced on Saturday as Prince Ayorinde Ejioye met with his supporters in Ado-Ekiti and addressed the controversy surrounding his purported removal.
Ejioye, who was previously appointed as the Ekiti State Director of the City Boy Movement, spoke amid growing agitation among his supporters after the movement’s national leadership appointed another individual to oversee the group’s affairs in the state.
People have been asking me about the City Boy Movement issue in Ekiti,” Ejioye said during the meeting. “It was when we planned to commence our activities that some people went behind our backs to change the whole structure and make the Ekiti City Boy Movement what it is now.”
Despite the controversy, Ejioye remains calm, describing the development as one that unexpectedly increased his popularity within and beyond the State.
We thank God for everything because what happened brought me into the limelight beyond my expectations,” he said.
He urged his supporters not to lose sight of their political objective, stressing that loyalty to a shared vision was more important than positions within any group.
Whether with the City Boy Movement or not, the goal is to return our President (President bola Ahmed Tinubu) in 2027 and also our Governor, Biodun Oyebanji (BAO), in 2026 as President and Governor respectively,” he stated.
Ejioye disclosed that consultations were ongoing on how best to proceed, adding that future engagements might be coordinated under the Ayorinde Ejioye Foundation. According to him,
I do not want us to leave the City Boy Movement and form another group. We will continue to push for our principal, and our impact will speak for us.”
He further assured his supporters of their readiness for political mobilisation.
We have the manpower and resources needed to work. This is not a “go-and-come” matter. We will hit the ground running immediately once we are set,” he said, while appreciating what he described as overwhelming support from Ekiti youths.
Recall that
Ejioye had been appointed Ekiti State Director
on August 14, 2025, through a letter referenced CBM/EKITI/025/005/024 reported
the Guardian Newspaper, which later circulated online. However, according to The
Nation Newspaper the movement’s national leadership subsequently appointed Asiwaju
Kasali Oluwafemi as the new Director for Ekiti State.
The
appointment, which took effect from January 1, 2026, was conveyed in a letter
dated February 5, 2026, and signed by the Director-General of the group, Shoga
Francis Oluwatosin. According to the letter, Oluwafemi was selected based on
his “competence, loyalty and commitment” to the movement’s ideals.
The
movement stated that the new director is expected to provide strategic
leadership across Ekiti’s 16 local government areas and spearhead mobilisation
in support of President Bola Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections.
At
Saturday’s meeting, Ejioye’s supporters applauded his remarks and expressed
readiness to await further direction. Speaking during the gathering, Mr Adesoji
Gabriel, Special Assistant to the Ekiti State Governor, described Ejioye’s
removal as unjust.
An injustice to one is an injustice to all,”
Gabriel said, adding that supporters
would continue to push for fairness. He also responded to criticisms that
Ejioye was rarely in the state, clarifying that while Ejioye is homegrown,
“everyone cannot have their business entirely within the state.”
0 Comments